Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Door to door organics -- Box 1

I accidentally came across with this website: Door to door organics. DtD organics is a company that delivers fresh organics to their subscribers each week. Once I visited their site, I was really tempted to try one box. I know there are similar service in Taiwan, but I didn't know there's such service here in Colorado as well. There are several reasons that I was attracted to their service: for one, you can choose the size of box that works for you the best. Then you can also exchange items in a box. It's also a great "challenge" to come up with some culinary ideas to use all items in one box. Finally, I choose the "bitty" box to go with my first try, as the price is also quite reasonable.

(I was also looking forward to their "local box," which consists of items from local produce. I subscribed in time just when they started the local box. But in the end I decided not to go for that, because the 1st local box has only veggie items. And I want some fruits as well!)

So here's a list of items I got in my first bitty box:
Apricots.75lb
Grapefruits.2
Nectarines.2
Peach.2
Cucumbers.2
Zucchini.2
Red Bell Peppers.2
Red leaf lettuce.1
Spinach.1(I exchange this from the original beets...Not that I don't like beets, it's just I don't have a good recipe with beets!)

So what did I do with these veggies? (I ate/will eat most of the fruits. I'm also considering using some of the fruits for baking!)
Cucumbers: in salads, in Chinese cold noodle salads with sesame sauce
Spinach: in water boiled salads with sesame and Japanese "konbu" soy sauce
Lettuce: in salads

I'm going to use:
Zucchini and Red bell peppers, for Ratatouille. (I wrote the recipe for this one, but in Chinese!)

I'm having fun with my first box. I'll be waiting and planning for the second box!




No comments: